Medical and Consumer Health
Links to useful information on the Internet
- Consumer and Patient Health Information
- Web sites you can trust from the Consumer and Patient Health Information Section (CAPHIS) of the Medical Library Association. These general web sites for consumers and professionals are usually lists of links to other sites, although some contain original material. To find information on a particular disease, each site has either a search engine or a list of topics.
- Find a Physician
- Contains the licensing background and disciplinary information of physicians and other health care practitioners in Iowa. This site is based on data from the Iowa Board of Medical Examiners.
- Hardin MD
- At this site you will find a "list of lists" to comprehensive resources in health-related subjects, published by Hardin Library for the Health Sciences at the University of Iowa. There are pictures of diseases and conditions as well as links to other web resources.
- Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals' (DIA) Health Facilities Division (HFD)
- This site includes a directory of long-term care facilities and inspection report cards for a wide variety of health care facilities in Iowa. Visitors to this web site will find a variety of useful information to assist them in the selection of a long-term health care provider.
- Kids Health
- KidsHealth is the largest and most-visited site on the Web providing doctor-approved health information about children from before birth through adolescence. There are sites for parents with practical parenting information, a kids site with homework help, and a teen site with answers, advice and straight talk.
- Mayo Clinic Health
- This consumer health web site from the Mayo Clinic contains an extensive database on diseases and conditions, a Healthy Living Center, healthy lifestyle planners, and drug information. There is a symptom checker and a first aid guide.
- Merck Manual
- Based on the Merck Manual, this Merck & Co. publication explains disorders, who is likely to get them, their symptoms, how they're diagnosed, how they might be prevented, and how they can be treated. Information about prognosis is also provided.
- PubMed provides access to over 14 million citations in MEDLINE, PreMEDLINE and other related databases, with links to participating online journals. MEDLINE contains bibliographic citations and author abstracts from more than 4,800 biomedical journals published in the United States and 70 other countries. The database contains dating back to the mid-1960's . Coverage is worldwide, but most records are from English-language sources or have English abstracts.
- The WebMD content staff blends award-winning expertise in medicine, journalism, health communication and content creation to bring you the best health information possible. Our esteemed colleagues at MedicineNet.com are frequent contributors to WebMD and comprise our Medical Editorial Board. Our Independent Medical Review Board continuously reviews the site for accuracy and timeliness.